Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Fighting Back: Start Local and Play It Like Chess

How long does it take to play a game of chess?  Anyone who has played the game knows that it will very greatly, depending on the skills of the opponents, and how much patience they hold.  That only completely true if there is no time clock involved, but the longer each opponent has, the more time they will have to strategize and make better moves.

I am viewing my current purposes in my life and community as a chess game in order to 'make better moves' so to speak.  My personal chess game to solve my own life issues began quite a while back and you can find indications of this in my earlier articles.  The chess game in my community began yesterday for me.  I found out that I am no longer alone in my struggles in West Nipissing, and that there are a lot of 'pissed off' people out there who want positive change like I do.

What this means for me is that there are more pieces on the board now, especially on my side, and that there is a game that can be won.  There is the ethical side of things where the issues are very people centered, and those are the white pieces of course.  The 'light side of the force' if you are a Star Wars fan like me.  The corrupt public officials involved in nepotism, coercion, and outright bullying of citizens on the other hand easily fit the image of the black pieces on the board. 

Their side still has all the pieces on the board and had almost wiped out the white pieces,, but there are a couple of 'knights' still protecting the king and queen on the white side, and if you have every played chess, the knights can be very dangerous in the way that they move around the board, and we often don't see them coming.  Well, I see the knights already finding ways to get the pawns to the other side safely so they can become queens as well, and the queen holds most of the power.  If you don't believe me, take a look at our community and the so-called leaders we have, and the queens hold way too much power right now.

So let's get to the point of my chess metaphor now.  Our community has one year now to our local elections, and it is my belief that things will heat up more than previous years due to the overabundance of social and economic issues here.  The politicians will be prepping for their photo shoots at all of the local events and working out how to promote themselves in the best light possible.  And for many citizens, they will be fooled by this.

On the other hand, if I and others begin educating our local citizens now, the chess board will begin to even itself out so we can get to the source of the real problems, instead of being fooled by the glitter and glam that the politicians will use.  Because we know more about narcissistic behaviours, hopefully more people will see past the surface of these people and look beyond their masks.  The black pieces on the board have been strutting around arrogantly for too long now, and I have to believe they are getting a little nervous for the first time in a long while.

I am quite obviously sitting with the few white pieces right now preparing for battle, and gain much confidence as more pieces come back to the board.  By the way black pieces, I am an excellent chess player, and a tremendously patient individual.  I believe this is going to be a very long and tough year for you all, but remember, you can always atone and join the white pieces as well, you do have that choice!  But that choice won't last long once the battle truly begins.

Welcome to the chess match people, you are welcome as spectators or even better, become a participant in the game.  Educate yourself, show up at council meetings, make your presence known and let the black pieces know that you are ready for change.  I went to college for social work and was trained as what they call a 'change agent'.  I am all for social change when it is needed and my hopes are that good and compassionate citizens will stand up and fight for positive change as well.

I will support the politicians and town officials who are people centered, but if you are self-centered then unfortunately we will have to remove you from the board this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment