Tuesday, November 1, 2016

More About Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia


After seeing how well read my article was on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, I decided that I should write about this topic regularly.  I am not going to provide you with statistics and research, I am simply going to share what I have learned from my own research and from how it feels to suffer from these horrible afflictions.

The first part I will talk about is the stigma attached to CFS and Fibro.  Because they are 'invisible illnesses', many people in the world still believe they are not real and that 'it is all in your head'.  I have heard this comment before and has been a commonly used phrase that too many sufferers have had to hear.  Although I agree that much of it is rooted in our mental state, the effects of these illnesses are very real.

If you have one of these afflictions or know someone who has, you will have a much greater understanding of how crippling they can be.  I posted a phrase with the other article that referred to getting the flu and having it last forever, and that is similar to how it feels at times.  Imagine all of the symptoms that come along with a flu such as body aches, lethargy and fatigue, foggy head, and general overall malaise, and then imagine living like that every day of your life with no real hope for relief.  Yes, it is that bad, and worse.

Maybe you used to function at a high or normal rate in your life, and then one day you woke up, the inner drive is still there, but your body no longer responds to your drive.  Think about the things that you would normally do in a day that we take for granted, and have little or no ability to perform those functions anymore.  How would you feel if you were then diagnosed with one of these illnesses and find out that there is no cure?  How do you think that would affect your mental health?

All I know is that it has a domino effect where the worse you feel, the worse our thinking becomes, and so on and so on and so on.  Yes there are ways to stop this effect but when you are naturally feeling horrible physically each day, it is very difficult to stem this process.  I understand how it feels and I struggle physically even while writing this article.  I share this so that if you are a sufferer, you are not alone, and there is something better for us.  I also share this so that if you are not a sufferer, then you can understand that it is not 'all in our heads'.

I do know this though, even though I can ease my physical suffering somewhat by staying active and taking good care of my physical self, I can control how I view my issues, and so can you.  This is why I am driving my writing towards the idea of inner peace for better mental health.  The calmer we become on the inside, the easier it is to react to the world, and the less physical exertion we need to deal with life.  Finding inner peace helps us to inject positive thinking into our mental state which in turn helps us to feel better as a whole.

I don't have all of the answers but I do know that I have learned to greatly ease my own suffering by finding peace within.  I am no longer dragged down into depression by my illness because I realize that I can either give up or keep moving forward.  I choose to move forward even when my physical self tries to pull me backwards.  Taking control of our thoughts and our mind gives us the ability to see things from different angles.

Even though there is no cure for these afflictions presently, I still believe that if I can continue to strengthen my state of mental health, then my physical self will improve as well.  I have proven this to myself over and over again.  When I feel truly at peace, my suffering is eased greatly. If there is one thing to hold onto, it is hope.

I believe that the path to healing these afflictions comes from within, and even if I am wrong, I know that this thought provides me with the hope and positive nature to remind me each day that life is a blessing, and I should not waste it.  Keep your hope alive and know that you are not alone.  Keep looking inside for answers and you will eventually find some.  No matter what your beliefs are, remember that the body has the ability to heal itself, and we need to find a way to let it do so.

Take care and be well

No comments:

Post a Comment