Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Anxiety or Depression: Get Over It?


Have you ever heard this sort of comment, 'get over it'?  People suffering from invisible issues like depression, anxiety, or a chronic pain disorder hear comments like this from others, and let me tell you that there is nothing more frustrating to hear.  Comments such as 'buck up', 'pull up your socks', 'get over it' and 'get over yourself' are things that many people have either said or have heard in regards to their disorders.

Let me tell you, there is nothing more demeaning to a sufferer to hear comments such as these.  Do people actually believe that invisible illnesses are a choice?  Anyone with a mental health disorder or invisible illness would certainly choose to not have it if the choice was theirs.  So don't treat them like they are doing something wrong!  If it were as easy as 'getting over it', the choice would already be made.

My point here is awareness and understanding.  The more aware people are of the symptoms that are being suffered through, the more they can use their empathy and understanding to help ease the discomfort of the sufferer instead of judging them only on what they can see.  Awareness comes from the sharing of information and I believe it is the job of those who are suffering to start sharing their stories.

The more the general public knows about invisible illnesses, the better chance we will have that they will approach us with understanding, rather than offering treatment based on only what can be clearly seen.  I share things about myself so that others know that they are not alone.  I am a humble person who does not like being in the spotlight and can be quite shy in nature, but I know how important it is to bring these issues out into the open.

Too many people are becoming isolated because they are embarrassed of their illness or behaviours, and that is not fair.  Everyone should have the right to be themselves without judgment, as long as they are not hurting anyone else.  I am hoping to spread a little awareness with my blog and to help others gain some simple understanding of mental health.  I hope to help a few people get their critical thinking skills working so they can better figure things out for themselves.

Being somewhat isolated myself these days, I am reaching out to others who feel similarly, in the hopes that people will begin supporting each other more.  If you are depressed and know someone else who is depressed, reach out and share with them.  Share your understanding and maybe some helpful ways to ease suffering.

We tend to keep our issues quiet, but in my opinion, we need to open up the discussion and help each other improve our quality of life.  If you are finding my thoughts helpful, I would certainly appreciate it if you would share it with friends who could use a little Mental Health Straight Talk, or simply to share the awareness to others.

Click one of little buttons below the post and follow us on Facebook or Twitter at the top of the page.  It nice to see more readers from around the world each day, and I thank you for taking the time to read this blog.

I came up with a saying a few years ago, 'inspire others to inspire others', and that is what I hope to do here.  Inspire you to find your path to contentment and to share it with others as well.  Keep the inspiration moving forward.

Have a peaceful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment