Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Stop Worrying!


As I sit here going a little stir crazy with flu like symptoms, my thoughts tend to jump around.  I find that if I sit down and write down some of those thoughts, that my mind clears out and I feel a little better.  I look for the silver lining to being sick and remind myself how important our health is.  It is amazing how we forget this simple thing at times.

I have lived with chronic pain and fatigue for quite a few years now but I am certainly not looking for sympathy from anyone.  Although it does 'suck' at times, it has taught me how important good mental health is and how it can be more important than our physical health.  These issues have put me through the suffering of depression and high anxiety, but without these I would never have learned how to strengthen my own mental health, and how to help others do the same.

I realize I have jumped around a bit with my topics so far and likely will do so in the future, but I believe I have brought out all of the major points I would like to hit with this blog and now I will be able to expand on those thoughts over the next few weeks.

Depression and anxiety come from opposite states of mind but tend to run hand in hand with each other for many.  Depression is based in our worry about past events whereas anxiety is our worry about possible future occurrences.  I am here to tell you to Stop Worrying!  Worry has no benefit to our mental health in any way.  It is okay to have concern for others but worrying about things has absolutely no benefit to health and well-being in any way.

Worry adds fuel to the fire of depression and anxiety and leaves us out of control with ourselves.  When we worry about things we are making predictions about the future and I will tell you this, nobody can predict the future so stop trying to.  What will happen will happen.  We can only control how we react to life and its events, not the events themselves.  The stronger our mental health and the more inner peace we have created, the better we will react to those events.

I plan to write more about depression over the next couple of weeks once my own head clears out, but in the mean time I want you to understand that depression is something we have created for ourselves.  Outside events may have helped lead to the feelings of sadness, but our reactions are what created the depressive state of mind.  I don't know about you but I certainly don't want to feel sad all of the time.

I have learned to identify the sad thoughts and used them to strengthen my own learning and resolve. You can too.  I am not saying it is easy, I am simply saying that you are the master of your own domain and it is time you take control of yourself.  Tell yourself that it is your turn to be happy.  Look for happy moments throughout your day and learn to focus on them.  You may find those moments in the smallest things, but by focusing on those small happy moments, you can produce large results.

Stop worrying about things because that worry is not helping anything or anyone.  Identify your negative thoughts one at a time and find ways to turn them into positive life lessons for yourself.  Don't try to tackle all of your problems at once because this will be terribly overwhelming.  Start with one problem a day and in a week, you could easily solve 7 issues in your mind.  We can all handle that and we all need to start somewhere.

Have a peaceful day and be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment