Monday, October 24, 2016

Psychological Abuse


This is tough one for me to write about, but for my own mental health, I need to share.  I consider myself fortunate that I have never had to deal with physical abuse in my life, but I know many people who have, and that is why I consider myself fortunate.  I have been psychologically abused long term twice in my life, and I can tell you that it is horrible.

The biggest difference between physical and psychological abuse is that when you are being psychologically abused, much of the time we have no idea it is even happening.  We usually find out when it is too late, and we have had some sort of breakdown.  We can feel our self confidence and self worth depleting slowly over time, but it is very difficult to understand why it is happening, and much of time we blame ourselves because that is the design and manipulation of the abuser.

The three abusers that I want to expose are sociopaths, psychopaths and narcissists.  Some of our most educated and intelligent mental health workers have a difficult time identifying these abusers, and that is what makes them the most dangerous abusers of all.  These abusers are most often charismatic, intelligent and very friendly on the surface, and you often have to spend time behind closed doors with them to see the 'Mr. Hyde' to their 'Dr. Jekyll'.

So when they have finally used up everything they needed you for, they will have no problem disposing of you and making everyone around you believe you were the problem.  If any of this sounds familiar to you, then you likely have been abused as well.  This form of abuse is so very hard to identify and even harder to deal with once you crash.  Personally I had to do a lot of research to better understand what happened to me because I have spent the past years strengthening my inner self, and someone was able to break that down.

I share this with you because there we are surrounded by psychopaths, sociopaths and narcissists and they will do anything to use you up and spit you out.  If you think 'it won't happen to me', think again.  These abusers use deception, manipulation, lies and any other negative tool in their kit to lower your self confidence and self worth, and to get what they want.  If mental health professionals have a hard time identifying their behaviours, then this is why it is so important to do some research and protect yourself.

I will be writing more about this topic moving forward because it is detrimental to the mental health of any individual who comes in contact with these abusers.  My goal is to help set you on a path of learning and it is your responsibility to do some research for yourself.  This abuser could be a co-worker, a boss, a friend, a relative, or any other person in your life.  This person will lack empathy and this is the first and best way to identify the abuser.  See if they actually care about you, or whether they are just pretending to care, to get what they want out of you.  If you look closely enough, you will be able to see the difference.

I will add more tips and strategies in identifying psychological abusers over the next few weeks because I hope that I can keep you from dealing with the emotional abuse and scars that I have had to.  I apologize if I was unclear at all, I am dealing with the flu and by brain is a little extra fuzzy today.

Have a mentally healthy day!
Be Well

I found a link with a well written article on narcissism with 8 helpful ways to deal with the narcissistic behaviors.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-legacy-distorted-love/201610/faces-the-narcissist-the-critic-and-the-judge

No comments:

Post a Comment